Silicone zip lock bags are about to become your new low waste essential, both in the kitchen and out-and-about (maybe even in your kids’ rooms and the car – keep reading to find out how). So, you may have heard all the hype about silicone food pouches, but what’s all the fuss really about?
In this guide, we’ll go through why we love them, all their different uses, answer the questions you have been asking and give you our tips for getting the most out of these nifty silicone pouches.
Alright, enough chatting, let’s dive in.
Why We Love Our Silicone Zip Lock Bags
So many reasons! Ok, let’s start at the top – they replace a lot of plastic in the kitchen. The most obvious is single use plastic zip lock bags, but they can also replace all plastic containers. This is because they are leakproof (yes, even for liquids!), airtight, BPA-free, made from food-safe FDA grade silicone and they are also freezer, microwave & dishwasher safe. Basically, anything a plastic zip lock bag or container can do, silicone zip lock bags will do it better!
We also love that they’re so roomy – the 1.5L capacity will accommodate most things you’ll want to put in them, and they have measurements down the front, which is particularly handy for liquids.
Another great feature is that they’re clear, so you can easily see what you have in them. No more pulling out all the containers trying to find what you’re looking for or, even worse, thinking you’ve pulled out last night’s leftovers only for the smell to tell you that they’re actually last week’s leftovers – we’ve all been there!
We’ve left the best for last – our silicone zip lock bags are freestanding! No messing around trying not to spill anything but somehow still ending up with all the food on the counter. Instead, just open them up, puff them out and they will stand on their own (it’s almost as exciting as when your child first did it 😏).
To recap why our silicone bags are incredible -
- Big 1.5 litre capacity with built in measurements
- BPA-free, food-safe silicone
- Freezer, microwave and dishwasher safe
Our Favourite Ways to Use Silicone Zip Lock Bags
Silicone zip lock bags are so versatile. As you can use them to store things in the freezer, in the fridge, in the pantry, on-the-go, and even to heat things up in the microwave, they have a myriad of uses. Here are just a few of our favourites (the last few may surprise you!):
- Store veggie scraps in the fridge or freezer, ready for making stock
- Store that homemade veggie stock in the fridge or freezer
- Store soup or leftovers in the freezer, ready to go for those busy weeknights
- Store nuts, muesli, grains, and any other loose food in the pantry – especially handy if you do bulk food shopping!
- When food prepping or batch cooking, put that food straight into your silicone food pouches - an organised cook’s best friend!
- Store frozen fruit for smoothies
- Perfect for those times that beeswax wraps don’t suit the situation
- Keep your snacks fresh and plastic-free when you’re out and about
- For camping or travelling: to store smaller items, such as toiletries, or organise loose items
- Store kids’ toys – perfect for Lego, crayons, craft materials, any small bits and bobs
- Make a kids’ travel pack and store it in the car – think pencils, paper and stickers, Lego people, matchbox cars or small dolls
Thinking you need a Silicone Zip Lock Bag (or three) in your life? Get yours now.
How to Use and Care for Your Silicone Zip Lock Bag
Alright, now that you know why we love them and you have many ideas for how to use them, let’s get down to the nitty-gritty: how do you keep them in tip-top shape and how, exactly, do you open and close them? Here we go.
Washing your silicone zip lock bags couldn’t be easier – simply pop them in the dishwasher (yes!). You can also wash them by hand with warm soapy water. If you’ve put anything oily in your silicone pouch, it’s best to give it a quick rinse in hot water straight away, then you can wash as normal later. Silicone is strong and durable, so there’s not much else you need to do to keep reusing these pouches over and over.
Opening and closing your silicone zip lock bag is also simple: there is a slider along the top and arrows showing you which way to put the slider on to seal your pouch and keep things fresh and airtight. Say goodbye to wilted veggies, weird-tasting fruit and spilt snacks rolling around the bottom of your bag.
There you go, everything you need to know about Silicone Zip Lock Bags. Needless to say, they’re an absolute essential in our home and we know they will be in yours too. You’ll never need or want to turn to single-use plastic zip lock bags or plastic containers again. Don’t you love it when a product makes your life easier and the planet healthier at the same time?
Don't forget that we offer free shipping Australia-wide with absolutely no minimum purchase making it even more affordable to make a change and #choosetoreuze